[MPlayer-users] xv compatibility

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Mon Aug 17 14:42:14 EEST 2020

Hi!

On 2020-08-17 06:19 +0200, incognito974 at gmx.fr wrote:
> First : I know nothing about color space, pixel format, etc.
>
> I tried the xv video output with one video and it worked.
>
> But later I read the documentation about the xv video output and
> it tells that xv need YUY2 packed and YV12 planar format while
> xvinfo tell me that my computer has only YV12 planar and I420 planar.
>
> So does xv really work on my computer?
> Thanks.

The documentation is a bit outdated and over-specific there.

In general if vo xv works it works. Everything will be negotiated at
the time you play a video and if needed the pixel format will be
converted in software.

The implementation details of the X11 Xv driver are another thing,
but it should be alright nowadays.

Anyway you might also want to try and compare vo gl and vo vdpau
if your setup supports it.

Best regards and happy testing
  Alexander