[MPlayer-users] [Stereo, echo sound effects in MPlayer after upgrade to Big Sur]

Maxim Abalenkov maxim.abalenkov at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 16:08:49 EET 2020

Dear all,

After upgrading to macOS BigSur (v11) I notice strange effects in music playback with MPlayer. It sounds as if there is a new equaliser enabled. The music sounds to be played back in stereo and sometimes I hear echo effects and maybe a tiny delay. Imagine a playback speed of 0.9. I don't welcome these effects, especially when I listen to Chopin and other classical recordings.

Would you please help me to diagnose the issue and try to reinstate the original sound playback without these new effects? I use MPlayer 1.3.0-12.0.0 from MacPorts v2.6.4 @ macOS Big Sur 11.1. Please find below the output of MPlayer during playback of an audio file in Flac format:

  Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
  AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 1033.5 kbit/73.23% (ratio: 129183->176400)
  Selected audio codec: [ffflac] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg FLAC audio)

  AO: [coreaudio] Unable to initialize Output Unit component: [D���]
  AO: [openal] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
  Video: no video

I posted this question on Apple StackExchange (https://tinyurl.com/y9cspplw), but so far didn’t receive any answers. Thank you and have a good day ahead!

—
Best wishes,