[MPlayer-users] AVFifoBuffer error

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Wed May 1 13:55:50 EEST 2024

On 2024-04-30 08:03 +0900, Masaru Nomiya wrote:
> In the Message;
[...]
> MN>  > [...]
> MN>  > nu/menu.o libmenu/menu.c
> MN>  > libao2/ao_jack.c:74:8: error: unknown type name 'AVFifoBuffer'
> MN>  >    74 | static AVFifoBuffer *buffer;
> MN>  >       |        ^~~~~~~~~~~~
> MN>  > In file included from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkobject.h:37,
> MN>  > [...]
> MN>  >
> MN>  > I have not been able to find the cause of this error, which occurs
> MN>  > regardless of the gcc version.
> MN>  >
> MN>  > I would be very grateful if you could help me.
>
> AS>  The error is because ao jack is yet repaired after latest major
> AS>  bumps of FFmpeg.
>
> AS>  There are 3 options:
>
> AS>  1. Configure with --disable-jack
> AS>  2. Compile against an older ffmpeg release e.g. 6.1.1
> AS>  3. Use this experimental patch I sent to mplayer development mailing list:
> AS>     https://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/attachments/20240409/b46ad60a/attachment-0001.patch
>
> AS>  The problem with option 3 is that it is technically wrong. The new
> AS>  ffmpeg FIFO is not for use by multiple threads. That means while the
> AS>  patch worked for me as far as I could hear, it may make problems on
> AS>  other machines and maybe just from time to time.
>
> AS>  Are you using ao jack for audio playback with mplayer?
>
> No, I don't use it.
>
> I thought the culprit was around jack too, and tried to build with the
> --disable-jack switch, but it didn't work.
>
> But after reading your email, I tried again and was able to build
> it!!!

There is a high probability your previous tries were before we
fixed most problems related to ffmpeg major bumps.

For me it often failed first around the AVFifo in ao jack as well.
Then if you had used --disable-jack it would have failed for ao
sdl. Anyway that is all fixed now :)

Regarding audio outputs, some are still broken though:

1. jack
2. coreaudio (MacOS)
3. kai, dart (OS/2)

It is not entirely trivial to fix if multiple threads are used. So
it needs to be checked in detail before patching.

> My MPlayer is 1.5.r38477.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> AS>  I intend to implement a correct solution that uses a thread safe FIFO,
> AS>  but I can't tell when I will have the time.
>
> Every day is Sunday for me, so I have plenty of time to wait.
> I'm waiting in anticipation.

  Alexander