[NUT-devel] Chapters

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Sat Feb 18 14:43:53 CET 2006

On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 02:31:58PM +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > info can be stored at 2 places
> > 1. global & constant & repeated after every main/stream headers
>
> There I'd store just the chapter startpos

Over here I'd store just about all metadata possible, so the player can
see/know everything without seeking all over the file. Imagine a player
that shows you a chapter list with titles and you pick one.

> > 2. local in an info stream
>
> There I'd store all the other optional stuff

IMO, no. Info streams should just about only ever be used in live streams -
in any other situation, they make you loose the metadata if you're seeking
into the middle of such an area. (each info frame should be closely
followed either by an EOR or by a repeated info frame, to prevent back_ptr
being unusably large)

> Why it looks like the same discussion about index?

lol, it isn't. The discussion there was overhead vs. seeking speed in very
rare situations. The discussion here is merely correctness, where is the
most correct place to put this metadata.

Also, I don't think there's much of an argument here, it seems we are
mostly in agreement.

- ods15