[NUT-devel] Info Packets

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Sun Feb 19 20:16:23 CET 2006

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 02:13:10PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 08:45:01PM +0200, Oded Shimon wrote:
> > > Anyway, I have no particular position for or against Michael's
> > > particular implementation ideas on info. However, here are a few
> > > things I would prefer...
> > >
> > > - Let's not use the same key more than once with different values in
> > >   the same context (same stream/chapter/timeinterval). I fear this
> > >   will be confusing to players.
> >
> > You mean, if I have 'director' set to the entire file, i can't use
> > 'director' again as a subinfo for some stream?.. sounds ok with me...
>
> No, i mean you can't put both Stream=1 and Stream=2 in the same
> packet.

This is already impossible because stream and chapter will be id in the
begginning of the packet, and all packets which have these 2 values the
same must be binary identical...

> > > - If possible, I'd prefer that the demuxer not need to handle any of
> > >   the semantics of info tags. But maybe this is a stupid requirement
> > >   on my part.
> > >
> > > Maybe I'll try throwing some ideas out later for discussion. In the
> > > mean time, no worries, it's not my intent to flame or shoot down
> > > anyone's approach to info.
> >
> > BTW, I'm considering keeping compatiblity with mkv tags, so transcoding is
> > easy... Just the names of the fields, they use all caps and underscores
> > (TITLE, CHAPTER_ID, whatever)
>
> I doubt anyone will remux between nut and mkv.. and all other formats
> require different names anyway (or don't use names at all). IMO the
> all-caps is yet another ugly WINDOWS-ism of mkv...

if nothing else, it has the advantage of players not needing another
mapping table to go from info in containers into their own constructs..

- ods15