[NUT-devel] flags, which bit means fixed fps?

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Feb 22 17:04:37 CET 2006

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 03:07:12PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > is interlaced it must be fixed-fps, and the player probably wants to
>
> well, my first thought was "yeah sure", but sadly no
> just take a realtime stream the frame times will be
> off a little from your ntp/atomic clock, and for cheap vhs cameras/
> players they will be off by alot, your player must adjust the
> refresh times of the monitor/tv to these timestamps otherwise
> it will look less then perfect

this is just a matter of syncing to the refresh as the definition of
time units, rather than using a pc's rtc or other source. it's a
separate issue imo.

if you mean that measured physical units would be used in the file
captured from interlaced source, imo this is a very bad idea. rather
the timebase should be 1001/30000 (or 1/25) with exactly 1 unit
increments per frame, and the audio should be sampled to match the
video clock. i expect the audio and video clocks already match for
digital devices (dv cams, hardware mpeg encoders, ..)

anyway this all separate from nut, and applies to any container.

rich