[NUT-devel] Patch for info packets

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Fri Feb 24 14:31:15 CET 2006

Hi

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 01:45:46AM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 07:45:36AM +0200, Oded Shimon wrote:

> > > ok
> >
> > committed, with one additional clause:
> > +Info SHOULD be stored in global packets instead of info streams/frames if
> > +possible, and the amount of data is not large.
> >
> > Taken from Michael's phrasing a while ago...
> >
> > Now, my idea for info frames - exactly the same as info packets. The pts
> > for info frames is completely meaningless, it's only there to be able to
> > comply to MN rule, so there can be repeated info frames, that describe the
> > same "chapter", and you can see that they are the same info frame because
> > they have the same chapter id, which means they must be binary identical.
>
> I'm against it, unless you're proposing that we remove info streams
> entirely.. This completely nullifies the stream-quality of info
> streams. There's no guarantee that you'll have the frame by the time
> it becomes relevant, or that it won't appear way before it's relevant,
> etc.
>
> Rather, I would _like_ to do like this: info frames have no
> chapter_start or chapter_len because these values are implicit in
> their frame pts and the next frame pts (possibly EOR). However, this

iam against this, info frames and info packets should be identical so
we can remux info stream stuff into info packets if we want to or
the other way around without looking at the contents
furthermore if we start playing in the middle of a chapter we will need
some repeated info frames to figure out what we see

IMHO the following rules might be ok
* the pts of a info frame MUST be >= chapter_start and <= chapter_start + len
* if a info stream contains a info frame for chapter X then it MUST contain
  a info frame with pts==chapter_start

> creates nasty issues for seeking without index, as back_ptr could be
> huge. Maybe we should just exclude info from back_ptr..?

disagree, repeat it or store as a info packet after the headers

> Certainly chapter=0 (global) should be invalid in info frames.

agree

[...]
--
Michael