[NUT-devel] The codecs which have no fourcc in AVI

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Jul 6 23:52:03 CEST 2006

Hi

To make ivan happy, this thread is dedicated to the issue
of what to do if our selected codec id system doesnt have a id for a
specific codec
an issue which many other container specs dont seem to care about ...

so what can be done ...
*  IMO we should make a list of codec ids for codecs which are
   common but which arent stored in avi normally, well acually
   we already did make that list (see mailinglist, it was done
   with the sligtly different goal of avoiding implementation
   specific ids but when we drop these the rest is what we need
   here), also note my proposal here is just a small <10 entry
   list nothing bigger

so whats left are "rare" codecs which arent stored in avi
i think theres just one thing we can do here, and that is
to tell people to contact us to discuss/ register a id for
their codec
whats the difference from that to a nut specific id system?
makng and maintaining a list of all codecs-implementations-ids vs.
maintaining a list of very few ids, just thouse which are not
supported by avi and which people want to use in nut and where
the designers of the codec didnt specify a recommanded fourcc
already in their spec

a few random notes ...
* people dont contact microsoft/iso/apple to register their ids or
  did anyone? i dunno ...
* thouse who will attempt to store codec X in nut for the first time
  will likely not be the ones who designed the codec and they will very
  likely not have read the nut spec and as such will not know how to
  select a codec id -> they will not contact us