[NUT-devel] codec_specific_data

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Jul 18 04:49:42 CEST 2006

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 03:57:37AM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
> Rich Felker wrote:
> > and it will also encourage the adoption of standards that will
> > facilitate storing these broken codecs in any container, as opposed to
> > just solving the problem for nut alone. haali seems willing to work
> > with us on this, and having his support would be great for getting nut
> > into widespread use.
> >

> while we are at it, I'd strip the comment packet completely from vorbis
> and theora and expect the application to provide a dummy one if the
> decode desperately wants one.

the "standard" format is already specified, and moreover, the comment
might even be used to store version information that the decoder would
use to recover from buggy encoders.

however, it would be nice to add a clause in the vorbis header packing
spec indicating that players should ignore any metadata from the
vorbis comment packet.

rich