[NUT-devel] Fourcc spec

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Fri Nov 17 15:15:50 CET 2006

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 02:45:15PM +0100, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:

> >> no, and add a syntax element to the stream headers which says which
> >> type of codec id is used avi style or nut style (or qt style) hmm
> >> i do think you can copy and paste the text from matroska that will
> >> save some time
> >>
> >> if this gets accepted we have surpassed avi and mov in brokenness
> >> several seperate codec id systems
> >
> > I really really don't care what the actual values are, for all I care they
> > can be this list below, which AFAIK are all AVI values (except "vrbs").
> > The point is to have some kind of fourcc spec which is normative for
> > demuxers, and informative for muxers. As we saw the confusion of me and
> > you not knowing what fourcc should be used for mp3 in NUT...
> >

> Yes, priority to twocc values. Can a guideline be added like, use avi
> video fourcc if it does not collide to other containers, and twocc for
> audio if it exists ?

It already does, read the NUT spec.

fourcc
    identification for the codec
    example: "H264"
    MUST contain 2 or 4 bytes, note, this might be increased in the future
    if needed
    the id values used are the same as in avi, so if a codec uses a specific
    fourcc in avi then the same fourcc MUST be used here

- ods15