[NUT-devel] r21189 - trunk/DOCS/tech/nut.txt

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Nov 24 18:37:31 CET 2006

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 09:05:31AM -0800, Ralph Giles wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 01:51:34PM +0100, michael wrote:
>
> > if anyone disagrees or has suggestions to improve it then shout
>
> > +    codec_specific_data SHOULD contain exactly the essential global packets
> > +    needed to decode a stream, more specifically it SHOULD NOT contain packets
> > +    which contain only non essential metadata like author, title, ...
>
> For codecs with required stream-embedded metadata like ours, I think
> this is just making work for the muxer. I'd allow such packets, and
> instead say that implementations SHOULD maintain and prefer
> container-level metadata with NUT. The packet should be there, even
> if it's minimal.

The packet can be there if it's required by the spec, but the metadata
fields should all be blank, and should be completely ignored by any
player. I would be in favor of a requirement that a compliant player
MUST NOT present user-oriented metadata from codec bitstream (just
like how using timestamps from the codec bitstream is already
forbidden).

Rich