[NUT-devel] r21189 - trunk/DOCS/tech/nut.txt

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Nov 25 05:00:56 CET 2006

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 11:35:24PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 12:37:31PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:

> > > For codecs with required stream-embedded metadata like ours, I think
> > > this is just making work for the muxer. I'd allow such packets, and
> > > instead say that implementations SHOULD maintain and prefer
> > > container-level metadata with NUT. The packet should be there, even
> > > if it's minimal.
> >
> > The packet can be there if it's required by the spec, but the metadata
> > fields should all be blank, and should be completely ignored by any
> > player. I would be in favor of a requirement that a compliant player
> > MUST NOT present user-oriented metadata from codec bitstream
>
> hmm, i see 3 possibilities for xiph codecs
> 1. store the metadata packet as is

What does "as is" mean? This packet should be empty in the case of a
new encoding, anyway. The only way it would contain data is when
remuxing from ogg..

> 2. dont store the metadata packet
> 3. store a dummy (empty) metadata packet

IMO option 3 is the best. It's no horrible problem if option 1 happens
sometime in practice, but players should be considered noncompliant if
they use the metadata from these headers.

"Smart" muxers could be vorbis-aware and strip any crap out of the
header before muxing. :)

Rich