[NUT-devel] Fourcc spec

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Nov 25 07:42:07 CET 2006

Suggested revisions below:

> NUT Open Container Format fourcc specification 20061117
>

> Demuxers which support the codec listed MUST support the fourcc listed
> here.
> Muxers SHOULD use the fourcc listed here for codecs.
>
> Video:
> "mp4s"        MPEG-4 Part 2

Several people say it's bad. Either "mp4v" or "MP4V" is fine with me.

> "h263"        H.263

Caps or lower -- which one is considered standard in avi?

> "h264"        MPEG-4 Part 10/H.264

Same question.

> "snow"        Snow

Fine with me.

> "drac"        Dirac/Schroedinger

Is this used anywhere else?

> "vc1 "        VC-1

"WVC1" (or lowercase) seems to be the avi fourcc, but is this a
vendor-specific name?

> Audio:
> "vrbs"        Xiph.org Vorbis

This is the MPlayer pseduo-fourcc I created right? If so, might as
well stick with it. Maybe ffmpeg uses it too?

> "mp2 "        MP2

I don't see any fourcc's for this in codecs.conf. Does quicktime have
one? Or anything else..?

> "mp3 "        MP3

No precedent. Two other options:
".mp3" (used in quicktime)
"MP3 " (used in NSV)
Which one?

> "ac3 "        AC3

What does quicktime use? It's not listed in codecs.conf apparently..

> "aac "        AAC/MPEG-4 Part 3

Using "MP4A" (or lowercase) is probably better than "AAC ". "aac "
(lowercase) has no precedent.

> "eac3"        EAC3

WTF is this? A separate codec or just ac3?

> "flac"        Free Lossless Audio Codec

Fine. Or should it be uppercase?

> "wavp"        WavPack

No idea.