[NUT-devel] NUT documentation

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Fri Oct 27 15:24:47 CEST 2006

Hi

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 11:44:21AM +0200, Oded Shimon wrote:
[...]
> > documentation on NUT, Måns is possibly willing to update the lavf
> > implementation. The intent of this document is not to replace the
> > formal spec that already exists, but rather for it to be developed
> > into the "informative" (as opposed to normative) parts of the spec,
> > particularly what one might call a "Usage" section. Rationale and
> > Examples might be other non-normative sections we should consider
> > writing.
> >
> > So far my writing has been somewhat disorganized. I think it could
> > make a much better presentation if it used more itemized lists,
> > tables, etc. Actually I'd be very happy if other people want to work
> > on improving this; what I've set out is just the groundwork I think.
> >
> > Comments? Revisions? Frames? (Pardon my Engrish. :) Ideas for merging
> > this into a nice specification document?
>
> I personally preffer to have a normative terse spec, and an informative
> explanation document seperate, no need to merge to them...

iam happy with either

> > Header Structure
> >
> > A NUT file must begin with a magic identification string, followed by
> > the main header and a stream header for each stream, ordered by stream
> > id. No other packets may intervene between these header packets. For
>
> This is actually no longer true with michael's change to the spec...
> reserved_headers needs to be checked between stream headers.

yes, that allows possible future extension packets between stream headers,
i dunno how important that is (i also dont remember if i had any specific
uses in mind when i added this possibility...), if rich wants then iam not
against removing this possibility (its no problem even now with the frozen
spec as muxers arent allowed to inject reserved packets and demuxers would
just have 1 requirement less)
then again theres no need to hurry with that, we can always remove that
possibility later ...

[...]
> I like it...

me too