[NUT-devel] NUT documentation

Måns Rullgård mru at inprovide.com
Sat Oct 28 15:05:10 CEST 2006

Oded Shimon <ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 01:12:12PM +0100, Måns Rullgård wrote:
>> So given a NUT file, how do you know which codec is used if there is
>> no official list of codec IDs?
>
> I dunno, how do you accomplish this right now with AVI? As far as support
> goes, I'd say AVI is doing pretty well.. Even on set-op players...

I thought we all agreed that AVI was a mess.

> Now, believe it or not, coming up with a new system against the AVI mess,
> makes the situation WORSE, not better, because players would have to
> maintain multiple lists instead of one in order to support several
> formats.

Players already need one list per format.  Did you ever notice that
mov.c has its own list?  Perhaps in an ideal world, each codec would
have a unique identifier used across all formats.  That is not the
world we're living in, and unless we can manage to change that, which
seems very unlikely, we simply have to deal with what we have.
Closing your eyes does not make the problem go away.

> As for the actual list to put in the spec, for all I care you can grab the
> list from riff.c and use that.

The fact that you don't seem to care at all about an important part of
the spec is what worries me.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru at inprovide.com