[NUT-devel] header packing for xiph codecs

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Tue May 8 00:22:17 CEST 2007

At some point we talked about there being a general need to pack the
necessary decoder initialization headers for codecs like Vorbis and
Theora into a single binary blob, and how it would be nice if there were
some standard way to do that.

I've been pushing for something like that in the RTP payload specs,
which are going through a new round. So, what do you think of the
following:

- 24 bit "unique id" marking the header for reference
- number of headers, encoded as a variable-length unsigned integer,
  using the 'v' method from the nut spec

- for each header:
  * length of the header in bytes, encoded using the 'v' method
  * header data, padded out to the nearest byte boundary

Comments please,
 -r