[NUT-devel] Some sanity...

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Feb 6 06:10:34 CET 2008

I think we need a reality check here, as NUT is a FROZEN spec. I'm not
sure if the term frozen was ever clearly defined, but roughly speaking
it should mean that changes should be made only in cases where they do
not change anything for the ordinary cases (common codecs in use, e.g.
the whole keyframes thing) or where a serious bug/mistake/limitation
is discovered during testing.

This whole broadcast issue has brought up a lot of "new requirements"
with no legitimate argument for how they fulfill any need that NUT
does not already meet. "Because MPEG does it" is NOT A REASON!!
Moreover, folks with MPEG broadcast experience (and who ACTUALLY LIKE
MPEG) are not qualified to make recommendations about what's needed!
NUT's goal was never to copy MPEG but to redo things and do them
correctly from the ground up.

"People in the industry do it this way" is not an argument. As far as
I can tell, everything done with MPEG broadcast can be done much
simpler, for instance the time synchronization issue. Due to NUT's
extremely strict interleaving rules, frame dts ALREADY serves as a
synchronization timestamp!! There's no need for separate timestamps!

Please stop the insanity! NUT IS FINISHED. If anyone claims not,
please show real, demonstratable bugs, not differences from MPEG. A
difference from MPEG is not a bug but a sign of good design.

Rich