[NUT-devel] Broadcast sufficiency - my assumptions/reasoning/design for it

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Feb 6 20:06:45 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 06:57:51PM +0000, Måns Rullgård wrote:

> >> This is too vague to argue about it.
> >
> > It's trivially true for any live broadcast or broadcast with a fixed
> > channel bitrate.
>
> Nobody uses fixed channel bitrate.

I'm looking at applications broader than just TV. Also note that I did
not say the constraint is not met for programs without fixed channel
bitrate, just that it's _trivially_ met when channel bitrate is fixed,
i.e. no argument or analysis is needed to see that it's true. If you
want to begin examining more real world scenarios we can do that. I'd
be happy if you could analyze my claims for real-world data you work
with. :)

> A multiplex has a fixed bitrate
> dictated by the modulation.  This fixed bitrate is then shared by
> 10-15 independent channels.  It is even common to over-allocate the
> bitrate somewhat, since it is highly unlikely that all channels will
> need peak rates at the same time.

And now the TV stations have quality of service just as low as
airlines... So much for all the claims of superior quality from
digital TV...

Rich