[FFmpeg-devel] Evolution of lavfi's design and API

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Wed Jun 6 21:19:37 EEST 2018

Michael Niedermayer (2018-06-04):
> If noone, who has time to reply knows the awnser then you probably have to
> find it out from the code and any unfinished patchsets
>
> sending nicolas a private mail may also be more vissible to him than the ML
> in case he is busy

In terms of design, the big thing missing from lavfi is a clean API to
run a filter graph. Right now, it relies on requests on outputs, with a
fragile heuristic to find the "oldest" one. A clean API would allow to
run it as a whole and react to frames on output or requests on inputs,
possibly with callbacks.

This must come before threading, because it is what allows to control
threading: threading is efficient when the system can start several
threads and let them run, doing their work. If it is constantly stopping
and re-starting because the calling API makes too small steps, much time
is wasted.

But more than that, it requires somebody working on it. Speaking for
myself, the toxic ambiance in the project since a few months has
destroyed my motivation for doing anything ambitious on it. And to be
completely forthright, I feel that Paul is partly responsible for that
toxic ambiance; see his interventions on the thread about enforcing the
code of conduct for example.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George