[Ffmpeg-devel] [ bug ] converting png to dv gives solid black

Rich Felker dalias
Tue Mar 14 23:23:53 CET 2006

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 02:07:08PM -0800, Mike Melanson wrote:
> Erik Slagter wrote:
> >>Oh yes, anything other than RF and composite is rare in NTSC-land.
> >

> >Ouch, you're kidding me!? Do American viewers not care at all about
> >picture quality?
>
> 	For the most part, if the consumers perceive a technology as being
> "good enough", they don't care about spending a lot of money to upgrade.
> When the old TVs finally give out and it is time to buy a new TV and the
> default, low-end option is an HDTV, maybe then we'll see wider adoption.

Quite frankly, when we still have to deal with telecine, interlacing,
and the horribly resulting aliasing artifacts (which are visible on
any TV), and all the other crap TV has thrown at us, I see absolutely
no reason to care about chroma interference and other much more minor
things. If I want quality video I'll find I way to get digital
progressive source. Otherwise I expect it to be complete crap and I'm
not going to buy different cables or a different TV to get a miniscule
improvement.

Rich