[FFmpeg-devel] [rfc] merge the applehttp-urlprotocol into main

Martin Storsjö martin
Sun Feb 27 23:40:44 CET 2011

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011, Luca Barbato wrote:

> I tested it a bit and seems the best solution so far.

I'm also slightly more in favor of this approach at the moment, but I'm
not totally decided, since both approaches have their pros and cons.

> more to add:
>
> - add #define _XOPEN_SOURCE 600 as in the applehttp.c

Ah, that's needed for the usleep, right? I'll add it to my local branch.

> - append "http://" so the url shouldn't be applehttp://http://

I'm undecided about this. The applehttp://http:// URLs sure do look ugly,
but without that, how would you specify to play a stream of this kind from
a local file?

> - add an option to state explicitly from which segment to start since
> some implementations might not behave as mandated by the latest draft.

Hmm, what part does this relate to?

Also, handling seeking in this setup is a bit more tricky than in the
current chained demuxer. (I've got a few extra patches for doing this, but
they're not pretty and require a bit of extra changes to the frameworks.)

// Martin