[FFmpeg-devel] Development opportunity: LTC noise on files created from videotape source: filter idea

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Mon Jul 18 20:14:12 EEST 2022

On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 09:53:14AM +0000, Stephen McConnachie wrote:
> Hi FFMPEG developers,
>
> I have a proposal for a paid development opportunity to add a filter to FFMPEG.
>
> I followed the advice on the FFMPEG Consulting page at https://ffmpeg.org/consulting.html and am emailing this list to try to identify if any of the FFMPEG developers may be able to take on a development commission.
>
> Background: we are digitising high volumes of videotape carriers, and have identified a common case in some videotape formats where Linear Time Code from the tape carrier is present on audio stream 1 in the encoded file - manifesting as a continuous noise.
>
> Idea: could a filter be developed in FFMPEG, based on example files we can provide, to identify the presence of an LTC-derived audio stream, and additionally identify which of the streams is the LTC stream.
>
> If this filter idea sounds achievable, I would aim to identify which of the FFMPEG developers may be able to take on this work, and estimated costs and timeline.

It should be possible to implement a LTC decoder that turns a audio track into
LTC binary data. If that succeeded and the data is valid then teh track would
very likely have contained LTC.

Do i understand correctly that the tracks are LTC or normal audio not mixed?
or are there tracks that mix audio and LTC and require seperation ?

I think there are several developers who could develop such filter.
I could do it, Iam sure paul could do as well.

"I am not trying to be anyone's saviour, I'm trying to think about the
 future and not be sad" - Elon Musk