[FFmpeg-devel] Question about ffmpeg support of sph files with embedded-shorten-v2.00 coding

Don Resnik don.resnik at wrench.io
Tue Aug 29 19:45:57 EEST 2023

ffmpeg,

I have a sph file that ffmpeg will not process.  I am using ffmpeg 6.0,
which I believe is the latest version.   I am actually running ffprobe on
the file.

Here is the file header:

NIST_1A
   1024
sample_count -i 10612160
sample_n_bytes -i 1
channel_count -i 2
sample_byte_format -s1 1
sample_rate -i 8000
sample_coding -s27 ulaw,embedded-shorten-v2.00
database_id -s8 CALLHOME
pin -s6 509115
sample_checksum -i 12165
end_head

Here is the command:
>ffprobe -i input-file.sph

and here is the output:
[nistsphere @ 0x29f1ac0] coding ulaw,embedded-shorten-v2.00 is not
implemented. Update your FFmpeg version to the newest one from Git. If the
problem still occurs, it means that your file has a feature which has not
been implemented.

Before I go through sending a sample file, I would just like to confirm
that ffmpeg should be able to process audio files with:

'sample_coding -s27 ulaw,embedded-shorten-v2.00'

I was hoping there was a setting for configuration I could try that I have
not discovered yet to make this work.

Thank you for your help resolving this issue.

Don R.