[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Release 6.1

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sat Jul 8 01:51:12 EEST 2023

On Fri, Jul 07, 2023 at 05:33:32PM +0200, Lynne wrote:
> Jul 7, 2023, 17:07 by michael at niedermayer.cc:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 06, 2023 at 06:04:41PM +0200, Lynne wrote:
> >
> >> It's been a while since we've had a release, and we've had
> >> a lot of new features in.
> >> We did say we would make releases more often, and I think
> >> it's about time we have a new release.
> >>

> > yes
> >

> >> Anything anyone wants to have merged or should we branch
> >> off 6.1 in a few days?
> >>

> > libavradio needs testing, at least build testing.
> > all parts of git master are tested automatically by our user base
> > but anything in seperate repositories might receive less testing
> > so we should encourage people to test these seperate repositories
> > for the release
> >

> It's still quite a new library, its API might change, I think we
> should release 6.1 first, then release libavradio, so the next
> FFmpeg release has a stable target API-wise to use.

I think we should release early and often. also 7.0 would be a
major version bump, so the 6.1 API/ABI doesnt matter.
And i have not seen anyone working on changing the API ...

When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your
own failings. Then you will forget your anger. -- Epictetus