[FFmpeg-devel] RFC: opinions on making fftools work like a library

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 13:33:36 EET 2023

On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 2:12 PM Anton Khirnov <anton at khirnov.net> wrote:

> Quoting Zhao Zhili (2023-03-03 19:15:03)
> > I'd like to know what do you think about making fftools work like a
> > library, like what ffmpeg-kit already did, but with built-in support.
>
> Maybe you should first clarify what exactly do you mean by "work like a
> library". Meaning literally turn it into a library with a C API you can
> call? That would be a massive amount of work, though my current
> refactorings are moving in that direction.
> Or provide stronger guarantees for commandline options? Or something
> else?

I think the idea is to turn fftools (e.g. ffmpeg/ffplay/ffprobe) into
a generic, simple high level stable API that consumers can use. The
raw libav* APIs are difficult for most people to use, which leads to a
ton of wrappers around the fftools instead.

Yes, it would be a lot of work, but it would make using ffmpeg way easier.