[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] upcoming GA vote

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Sat Nov 4 19:58:11 EET 2023

Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-11-02 20:53:46)
> On Sun, Oct 29, 2023 at 10:33:12AM +0100, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > updating the answers according to received comments:
> >
> > vote question (unchanged):
> >     How do we update the list of active members of the general assembly?
> >
> > Available answers:
> > * twice a year (1st Jan & 1st July, 0:00 UTC);
> >   as an exception, the list will also be updated immediately after this
> >   vote
> >   (suggested at VDD, added time and the exceptional update clause)
>
> > * before each vote
> >   (suggested at VDD)
>
> This is not well defined
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well-defined_expression
>
> "before each vote" is not a single unique point in time
>
> First what is meant by "vote", theres a annoucement of some
> intend to make a vote, there would be a discussion, there could
> be a 2nd annoucement theres a period where people can propose
> new options. Then the vote start is announced at some point
> the actual vote start then also happens.
>
> So we have many reference points
> then "before" is everything before, even a year is "before"
>
> and exactly at the time when the vote actually starts is impossible
> because at that time the list must already be known and entered
> into the vote system
>
> I guess this doesnt matter if the option doesnt win ...

It seems obvious to me that the intent is "generate the list immediately
before the starting the vote". Since the script generating the voter
list has a granularity of one day, it does not matter at what precise
instant is the list generated, as long as it is on the same day as
starting the vote.

--
Anton Khirnov