[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] upcoming GA vote

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sun Nov 5 14:18:30 EET 2023

On Sat, Nov 04, 2023 at 06:58:11PM +0100, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-11-02 20:53:46)
> > On Sun, Oct 29, 2023 at 10:33:12AM +0100, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > > updating the answers according to received comments:
> > >
> > > vote question (unchanged):
> > >     How do we update the list of active members of the general assembly?
> > >
> > > Available answers:
> > > * twice a year (1st Jan & 1st July, 0:00 UTC);
> > >   as an exception, the list will also be updated immediately after this
> > >   vote
> > >   (suggested at VDD, added time and the exceptional update clause)
> >
> > > * before each vote
> > >   (suggested at VDD)
> >
> > This is not well defined
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well-defined_expression
> >
> > "before each vote" is not a single unique point in time
> >
> > First what is meant by "vote", theres a annoucement of some
> > intend to make a vote, there would be a discussion, there could
> > be a 2nd annoucement theres a period where people can propose
> > new options. Then the vote start is announced at some point
> > the actual vote start then also happens.
> >
> > So we have many reference points
> > then "before" is everything before, even a year is "before"
> >
> > and exactly at the time when the vote actually starts is impossible
> > because at that time the list must already be known and entered
> > into the vote system
> >
> > I guess this doesnt matter if the option doesnt win ...
>
> It seems obvious to me that the intent is "generate the list immediately
> before the starting the vote".

iam sure if it is obvious to you that will prevent disagreements and also
that "immediately before" is a well defined physical point in time

is 1 minute before "immediately before" ? (not sure that can be done)
is 1 second before "immediately before" ? (though this is not doable in practice)
is 1 hour before "immediately before" ?
is 1 day before "immediately before" ?
is 1 week before "immediately before" ?
is 1 month before "immediately before" ?
is 1 year before "immediately before" ?

> Since the script generating the voter
> list has a granularity of one day, it does not matter at what precise
> instant is the list generated, as long as it is on the same day as
> starting the vote.

How did you conclude this to be true ?
(obviously its not true but iam curious)

but try yourself: (all in one day you will get 2 differnt GAs)

git init
for i in `seq 20` ; do echo A >> A ; git add A ; git commit --author 'mitchikaku <mitchikaku at silly-movies.test> A' -m message ; done
perl ../tools/general_assembly.pl
# 2023-11-05 edc68c67988928560757eb624adeaf645b90740d
mitchikaku <mitchikaku at silly-movies.test>

for i in `seq 20` ; do echo A >> A ; git add A ; git commit --author 'kei <kei at silly-movies.test> A' -m message ; done
perl ../tools/general_assembly.pl
# 2023-11-05 3a39fd2af355a78c8e7eddae03f1fc056e100014
kei <kei at silly-movies.test>
mitchikaku <mitchikaku at silly-movies.test>

Some people wanted to paint the bikeshed green, some blue and some pink.
People argued and fought, when they finally agreed, only rust was left.