[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] upcoming vote: extra members for GA

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Nov 9 19:53:33 EET 2023

Le torstaina 9. marraskuuta 2023, 19.41.53 EET Michael Niedermayer a écrit :
> On Thu, Nov 09, 2023 at 07:04:00PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> > Le torstaina 9. marraskuuta 2023, 18.50.52 EET Michael Niedermayer a écrit
:
> > > that said, i checked ML subscribers and found
> > > 16 of the people above to be currently subscribed with email addresses
> > > that i found by greping their name. (not posting the list due to privacy
> > > concerns)
> >
> > Thing is, if they are subscribed and still don't ask to be added to the
> > GA, I don't think they should be "volunteered" by someone else. They are
> > of course welcome to apply.
> >
> > And if they are not subscribed, then they should not be added to the GA,
> > not only because they presumably don't want to hear about FFmpeg at the
> > moment, but also because they are probably totally out of the loop about
> > it, so to speak.
>
> While i can find 16 who are subscribed. I have no way to find people who
> are not subscribed, they can be subcribed using some email addess that
> doesnt include their name in either domain or user

The point is that, whether or not they are on the mailing list, people should
not be volunteered to the GA by others, but on their own volition. The
circumstances are different for those on the mailing list and those not, but
the end result is the same: don't nominate people like that. It's rude.

 (In fact, they are also potentially people on the mailing list but with
Mailman delivery turned off, as well as people who don't read the email account
through which they are subscribed.)

If you think some people should be added, as far as I am concerned, you are of
course welcome to nudge them via private message to friendly remind them that
they can nominate themselves.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/