[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] upcoming vote: extra members for GA

Vittorio Giovara vittorio.giovara at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 00:45:16 EET 2023

On Thu, Nov 9, 2023 at 3:17 PM Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc>
wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 09, 2023 at 08:30:15PM +0100, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:

> écrit :
> > > [...]
> you are of
> them that
> > >
> > > so what i will do then is
> > > If a developer was in the GA before || are just under the threshold but
> > > active || are part of the infra teams and packaging
> > > i will leave them in the list to be added (that is also what jb
> suggested)
> >
> > Of course, this seems reasonable.
> >
> > > I will contact them and ask if they want to be in the GA and
> >
> > You should contact who you want, or think is necessary.
>

> > But they should step forward and say so publicly that they are
> candidates.
>
> I think this is asking too much and it is unfair. We are not in any other
> case demanding that people announce themselfs infront of everyone for
> anything. Not for joining the mailing list, Not for anything else.
> Especially not for having vote rights.

This is unmanageable. As mentioned, being subscribed to the mailing list
should be the very first minimum requirement, and secondly the candidates
should speak up.
We don't want people to put words in their mouth, or guilt trip them into
performing work they don't want to do, or given the project's troubled
history give them a ptsd attack bringing back bad memories.
Voting is definitely a right, and in most rights there are obligations tied
to it as well, one of them is the obligation of announcing publicly a
candidacy to the GA.
--
Vittorio