[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Repeat vote: GA voters list updates

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 14:08:19 EET 2023

On 11/11/2023 4:22 AM, Thilo Borgmann via ffmpeg-devel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in [1] JB listed his list of authorized voters for the "GA voters list
> updates"
> vote.
>
> This list does not correlate with the list Josh provided in [2].
> Neither does this list of 51 people [1] correlate to the 54 authorized
> voters
> (distinct email addresses) the CIVS system actually counted, see [3].
>
> This can mean only one of two things, either some people on the list in
> [1] did
> receive more than one ballot, or JB failed to list all the authorized
> voters and
> ballots have been given to unknown people. Both possibilities are
> unacceptable
> flaws for a democratic vote.

Neither of these happened. It was already explained what happened.

> As the admin responsible of the votes it is my duty to have supervision
> of all
> polls and thus it is my duty to declare this vote null and void for the
> flaws
> given above.

No, this is completely unacceptable.

> This vote will be repeated from Sun 12th of November to Sunday 19th of
> November
> so we don't have to move the following votes yet another time.

As others pointer out, not only would such a vote not give a different
result if run with the list you shared in this email, as it's the same
people + duplicate addresses, but a repeated vote knowing the result
beforehand might affect people's choice, or outright have people not
bother voting at all.

So again, this is not ok at all and it damages the credibility of the
entire system.