[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] upcoming vote: extra members for GA

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 20:40:04 EET 2023

On 11/11/2023 3:02 PM, Paul B Mahol wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 6:29 PM Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc>
> wrote:

>> concerned, you are of
>> remind them that

>> threshold but
>> jb suggested)

>> candidates.

>> for the most part, inactive.
>> they will not speak on the mailing list".

>> and

>> bit first
>> honest.
>>>
>>> How did you even get to that conclusion?
>>
>> There was a swift and defensive reaction from multiple people when
>> i suggested to nominate several of the main authors of FFmpeg to the GA.
>> (Who many people have had no contact with for many years and many probably
>>   never had)
>>
>> People who interact regularly even if they dont like each other dont react
>> that way.
>> ive over the last decades seen this behavior commonly occur when one group
>> is
>> confronted with the potential introduction to their territory of another
>> group
>> they have had little recent contact.
>>
>> This seems a fundamental, unconcious and instinctive reaction humans have.
>> I called it Xenophobia, cuz it seemed like a similar concept.
>>
>> Do you disagree ? (not about the term but this sort of behavior is
>> happening)
>>

> Do not try to input your projections onto us.
>
> There is no point to infiltrate your spies into community.

You're throwing more fuel to the fire. Your email would have been fine
without this line. I asked you to tone things down and you go and write
this.

> Only people that give work to project can vote for project future, no
> people that left project.

If someone nominates them, and said nomination is accepted, then they
can participate. But if they left, it's likely that they don't want to
participate to begin with.