[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] upcoming vote: extra members for GA

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Sat Nov 11 20:25:13 EET 2023

Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-11-11 18:28:54)
> There was a swift and defensive reaction from multiple people when
> i suggested to nominate several of the main authors of FFmpeg to the GA.
> (Who many people have had no contact with for many years and many probably
>  never had)
>
> People who interact regularly even if they dont like each other dont react
> that way.
> ive over the last decades seen this behavior commonly occur when one group is
> confronted with the potential introduction to their territory of another group
> they have had little recent contact.
>
> This seems a fundamental, unconcious and instinctive reaction humans have.
> I called it Xenophobia, cuz it seemed like a similar concept.
>
> Do you disagree ? (not about the term but this sort of behavior is happening)

Consider the following alternative explanation. Our rules say:
  The General Assembly is made up of active contributors.

Many of the people you have proposed for GA are by your own admission
inactive. In other words, you are deliberately trying to subvert the
intent of the rules. Why should it be surprising that people have a
strongly negative reaction to that?

Also, you have just implied that people disagreeing with you are
unthinking zombies driven by their subconscious insticts. That is a VERY
rude thing to say about someone.

--
Anton Khirnov