[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] upcoming vote: extra members for GA

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sun Nov 12 19:14:09 EET 2023

On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 07:25:13PM +0100, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-11-11 18:28:54)
> > There was a swift and defensive reaction from multiple people when
> > i suggested to nominate several of the main authors of FFmpeg to the GA.
> > (Who many people have had no contact with for many years and many probably
> >  never had)
> >
> > People who interact regularly even if they dont like each other dont react
> > that way.
> > ive over the last decades seen this behavior commonly occur when one group is
> > confronted with the potential introduction to their territory of another group
> > they have had little recent contact.
> >
> > This seems a fundamental, unconcious and instinctive reaction humans have.
> > I called it Xenophobia, cuz it seemed like a similar concept.
> >
> > Do you disagree ? (not about the term but this sort of behavior is happening)
>
> Consider the following alternative explanation. Our rules say:
>   The General Assembly is made up of active contributors.
>

> Many of the people you have proposed for GA are by your own admission
> inactive.

yes. It is normal that "inactive" people have a vote.
Its true for every democratic country iam aware of.

But more so that the major Authors have a say in a General
assembly about their work.

> In other words, you are deliberately trying to subvert the
> intent of the rules.

no, the GA can change the rules entirely if it wants.
I can change neither the rules nor the GA. I can propose
20 people and the GA can tell me no an all.

what IS trying to subvert the process is people trying to
prevent a GA vote about it.

> Why should it be surprising that people have a
> strongly negative reaction to that?

i guess it was not that "surprising" if one thinks about it

> Also, you have just implied that people disagreeing with you are
> unthinking zombies driven by their subconscious insticts. That is a VERY
> rude thing to say about someone.

you are accusing me of something here that i have not said and not meant.
psychology is not about
"unthinking zombies driven by their subconscious insticts"

"Psychology is the study of mind and behavior in humans and non-humans.
 Psychology includes the study of conscious and unconscious phenomena,
 including feelings and thoughts."
Maybe it was a bad idea to discuss psychology during a already
heated mail thread.

The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny
individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand