[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] upcoming vote: extra members for GA

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Sun Nov 12 19:53:05 EET 2023

Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-11-12 18:14:09)
> On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 07:25:13PM +0100, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> > In other words, you are deliberately trying to subvert the
> > intent of the rules.
>
> no, the GA can change the rules entirely if it wants.
> I can change neither the rules nor the GA. I can propose
> 20 people and the GA can tell me no an all.

Sure, the GA can change the rules through a collective decision. But
then if you want the rules changed, you should propose a vote on such a
change, not start disregarding the rules you do not like.

Though given that the option you proposed that would preserve the voting
rights for inactive developers was defeated by a large margin in the
vote we just had, it seems to me that most of the community does not
share your opinion.

What you said, literally:
> This seems a fundamental, unconcious and instinctive reaction humans have.
> I called it Xenophobia, cuz it seemed like a similar concept.
> Do you disagree ? (not about the term but this sort of behavior is happenin

In other words, you are saying that people who disagree with you must be
doing so for unconscious and/or instinctive reasons, rather than as a
deliberate consciously thought-out choice.

> psychology is not about
> "unthinking zombies driven by their subconscious insticts"
>
> "Psychology is the study of mind and behavior in humans and non-humans.
>  Psychology includes the study of conscious and unconscious phenomena,
>  including feelings and thoughts."
> Maybe it was a bad idea to discuss psychology during a already
> heated mail thread.

Discussing psychology in the abstract is a fine campfire topic, but
totally off-topic on this ML and especially so in this thread.

Speculating on psychological processes of actual specific people
* in a public forum
* without their consent
* with whom you currently resolving a serious disagrement
is EXTREMELY inappropriate and rude. Please never do that again.

Anyway, it seems to me that this thread has exhausted itself. As I said
previously in this thread - I do not object to your proposing whomever
you like, as long as the people in question actively agree to being on
the ballot.

I will expect you to send a list of these people before next Friday.

--
Anton Khirnov