[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] upcoming vote: TC/CC elections

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Thu Nov 30 01:14:31 EET 2023

On Tue, Nov 28, 2023 at 02:23:13PM +0100, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> For the record, I've edited the vote description to make it more clear.
> It now looks like this:
>
>  Five people from the list below will become the members of the Technical
>  Committee (TC). Assign weights to each person according to how much you
>  want them to be in the committee (higher weight = higher preference).
>

>  The system will assume you want to maximise the sum of weights of
>  selected candidates. E.g. if X is given a weight of 10 and Y and Z have
>  weights 8 and 6 respectively, then the voting algorithm will assume you
>  prefer a committee with both Y and Z over one with X, because 14 > 10.
>  However, giving Y and Z weight of 4 and 2 instead would have expressed
>  that X is preferred to a combination of Y and Z, because 6 < 10.

My try in cooking word soup:

The system will assume you want to maximise the sum of weights of the
selected candidates.

Some examples:
If you give Jerry a weight of 10 and give Tom a weight of 9, that means
you prefer Jerry over Tom because 10 > 9
If you give Spike a weight of 20 that would mean you not only prefer Spike
over Tom OR Jerry but also over Tom AND Jerry. Because 20 > 10 + 9

OTOH if you give Spike a weight of 18 that would mean you prefer Spike over
Tom OR Jerry but you prefer Tom AND Jerry over Spike.
Because: 9   < 10    < 18     < 9 + 10
         Tom < Jerry < Spike  < Tom and Jerry

When the tyrant has disposed of foreign enemies by conquest or treaty, and
there is nothing more to fear from them, then he is always stirring up
some war or other, in order that the people may require a leader. -- Plato