[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] upcoming vote: TC/CC elections

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Thu Nov 30 10:08:06 EET 2023

Quoting Derek Buitenhuis (2023-11-28 21:30:12)
> On 11/28/2023 3:50 PM, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> > Calling things generically bad is the opposite of helpful.
>
> I cannot offer help on making a paragraph that I don't fully
> understand become more comprehensible, as that would require
> I understand it fully.

Consider the following:
1) I am neither a UI nor a voting system expert.
2) Explaining complex topics (like sophisticated voting systems) in a
   clear and easy to understand way is a very rare and highly nontrivial
   skill.
3) If you want an explanation that can be understood with no effort from
   your side, the best I can give you is: higher number = more
   preference (which is in the text already).
4) As this is a collaborative project, you are very much welcome to
   read the official documentation and supply a better explanation
   yourself, or find someone else who does.
5) As you're doing neither of these, your "word soup" and "trainwreck"
   amount just to your being an asshole to no purpose.

> But, I would again like to state these votes should be scrapped
> and redone. People literally voted the opposite of what they wanted
> to by accident, due to this.

So far we have exactly one person to whom this happened, who has notably
NOT asked to redo the vote yet. While I don't oppose redoing the vote in
principle, I also don't think it's realistic to expect a vote with 50+
voters to run with zero issues. Voting fatigue is also a real thing, so
we risk some people not voting at all in hypothetical repeat votes.

--
Anton Khirnov