[FFmpeg-devel] [freezedetect filter] discard frozen frames option ever added?

Paul B Mahol onemda at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 15:12:51 EEST 2023

On 10/1/23, Umberto Boccioni <vexware at gmail.com> wrote:
> [Apologies for the cross-post from User list, but in retrospect, I thought
> the post was better placed here]
>
> I'm trying to remove frozen frames from a video with gaps in the input
> stream, and the freezedetect filter appears to accurately find/list those
> sections.
>
> I was hoping to use the results of freezedetect to trim those sections of
> video, and there was a freezedetect "discard" ("f") option in the dev
> builds a few years back which appears to do exactly that (
> https://patchwork.ffmpeg.org/project/ffmpeg/patch/20191008035428.19474-1-lance.lmwang@gmail.com/#46233
> )
>
> It doesn't seem to have made its way into any of the builds (including dev
> branches) as far as I can find, and it's definitely not in the official
> docs.
>
> To my untrained eye, the patch looks complete, though possibly abandoned.
> is there any chance of it being incorporated into the mainline source?  It
> would be quite useful.

That patch is incorrect and buggy.

The solution is written bellow that patch in discussion once you real all text:

freezedetect,metadata=mode=select:key=lavfi.freezedetect.freeze_amount:value=some_frozen_amount:function=greater

No point in using that patch as functionality is already available:

https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#toc-metadata_002c-ametadata