[FFmpeg-devel] [freezedetect filter] discard frozen frames option ever added?

Umberto Boccioni vexware at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 07:15:28 EEST 2023

> something like freezedetect,metadata=mode=select:key=lavfi.freezedetect.freeze_amount:value=some_frozen_amount:function=greater
>
> You just need to export frozen value from freezedetect filter for each
> output frame metadata.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, which I'm sure is another load on
top of your dev duties.  For completeness' sake, can you elaborate on the
solution you originally proposed a few years ago?  I am hoping to eliminate
all (potentially multiple) frozen segments in one command.  Getting from
your description to a functional solution requires a level of
sophistication (not sure how to "export") I haven't yet acquired with
ffmpeg.

As an example, I found a python script which uses ffmpeg's freezedetect
output to accomplish this in one command, but a native solution would be
preferable:
https://gitlab.com/dak425/scripts/-/blob/master/trim_frozen_frames?ref_type=heads

No point in using that patch as functionality is already available:

Certainly, this is a reasonable position to take and I'm not trying to
convince anyone otherwise.  However, if the functionality is achievable
only through a relatively more non-obvious, opaque, or complicated means,
then having an option that condenses and simplifies and makes more visible
that functionality, well, I think that's a reasonable position to take
too.  In any case, it's moot without a non-buggy patch.

--
ub