[FFmpeg-devel] VDD 2023, FFmpeg meeting notes, (23-11-2023, 4pm, Dublin)

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Tue Oct 3 21:50:25 EEST 2023

Vittorio Giovara (12023-09-27):
> This is basically saying that you don't trust the community to make the
> best decisions for itself, or that the community is not mature enough to
> stand on its own to support the project.

You are twisting the words to make it sound bad, but it is roughly what
I am saying, and I suspect also what Michael is saying.

More precisely, I now strongly believe that democracy is a terrible way
to run a project like FFmpeg.

As the project grows, democracy gives an increasing weight to people who
came late to contribute to the project in specialized ways (maintaining
code for a specific arch) for external reasons.

It perverts the spirit of the project by shifting towards more stability
and stagnation and away from fun and creativity.

Let us go back to a single leader who is here to have fun and will
foster an environment where other hackers can have fun and create
something good.

--
  Nicolas George