[FFmpeg-devel] VDD 2023, FFmpeg meeting notes, (23-11-2023, 4pm, Dublin)

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Oct 5 22:45:44 EEST 2023

Le torstaina 5. lokakuuta 2023, 21.33.16 EEST Michael Niedermayer a écrit :
> Hi Vittorio
>
> On Thu, Oct 05, 2023 at 01:32:11PM -0400, Vittorio Giovara wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 5, 2023 at 8:55 AM Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:
> > > Anton Khirnov (12023-10-04):
> > >
> > > Or you could have given the issue just two more seconds of thought and
> > > realized that FFmpeg is a software project rather than a Nomic game, and
> > > therefore where the code goes matters more than how it is decided.
> >
> > Code never matters more than people. It's people who make the community
> > and
> > it's the community who writes the code or who decides what belongs to the
> > project -- never a single individual.
> >
> > There is a lot of content on the web that exemplifies that in professional
> > environments:
> > -
> > https://hackernoon.com/thoughts-on-software-development-heroes-5ec656c2e31
> > How To Prevent Coding "Heroes" From Destroying The Team
> > -
> > https://leaddev.com/culture-engagement-motivation/eliminating-hero-culture
> > -software-engineering-teams Eliminating hero culture in software
> > engineering teams
> > -
> > https://medium.com/@LuiscaGuerrero/the-myth-of-the-hero-developer-70870e76
> > c00b The myth of the Hero developer
> >
> > I am as puzzled as you are why we let this kind of abuse happen in this
> > community, so claiming a CoC violation for a legitimate question seems a
> > bit ridiculous in my opinion.
>
> If people in a team start asking each other "why are you part of the team"
> no matter in what form or in what context or under what argumentation.

He has made no secret that he does not _want_ to be in the same team. A few
months ago, he told several people here to (and I quote) "go fork
[themselves]". It hardly gets more explicitly than that, does it not? It is
also much more offensive than Kieran's question. Surely, you have noticed that
it reads very much like a major insult.

In a way, I suppose that I get your point: *you* do want everybody in the same
team. And he ostensibly wants to be in your "team". But that is not
transitive: he does not want Anton, Kieran, Vittorio, Tomas, and a whole lot
more in that hypothetical team, or at least not on the terms that Anton
refereed to as the "fundamental rules" from some years ago.

If you do not agree with Nicolas on this point, then admonishing Kieran and
Vittorio about alleged CoC violations is not conducive to resolving your
disagreement, nor is preaching to them about an united FFmpeg team.

I understand that you do not like this situation. Nobody does. But you are
addressing the wrong people, and ultimately adding fuel to the fire, even if
you do not mean to.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/