[FFmpeg-devel] VDD 2023, FFmpeg meeting notes, (23-11-2023, 4pm, Dublin)

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Thu Oct 5 21:33:16 EEST 2023

Hi Vittorio

On Thu, Oct 05, 2023 at 01:32:11PM -0400, Vittorio Giovara wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 5, 2023 at 8:55 AM Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:
>
> > Anton Khirnov (12023-10-04):
> > > It is IMO perfectly reasonable to wonder why does someone who does not
> > > agree with the basic rules participate in the project.
> >
> > Or you could have given the issue just two more seconds of thought and
> > realized that FFmpeg is a software project rather than a Nomic game, and
> > therefore where the code goes matters more than how it is decided.
>

> Code never matters more than people. It's people who make the community and
> it's the community who writes the code or who decides what belongs to the
> project -- never a single individual.
>
> There is a lot of content on the web that exemplifies that in professional
> environments:
> -
> https://hackernoon.com/thoughts-on-software-development-heroes-5ec656c2e31a
> How To Prevent Coding "Heroes" From Destroying The Team
> -
> https://leaddev.com/culture-engagement-motivation/eliminating-hero-culture-software-engineering-teams
> Eliminating hero culture in software engineering teams
> -
> https://medium.com/@LuiscaGuerrero/the-myth-of-the-hero-developer-70870e76c00b
> The myth of the Hero developer
>
> I am as puzzled as you are why we let this kind of abuse happen in this
> community, so claiming a CoC violation for a legitimate question seems a
> bit ridiculous in my opinion.

If people in a team start asking each other "why are you part of the team"
no matter in what form or in what context or under what argumentation.
Thats not a good thing.
A well working team doesnt do that except maybe as a joke
If that is technically a CoC violation is really not the point.

I could elaboarte more here, I mean lets assume someone has an actual
reason or contradiction to his membership in the project.

Maybe ones employer doesnt allow it, or some other arbitraray reason
The question "why are you here if X" surely is legitimate from a logic
point of view but it none the less is a question that has no place to
be asked. logic legitimacy != moral legitimacy
as in "Ohh i know skynet doesnt allow you to work on FFmpeg, why are you here?"
Thats not a question thats in the interrest of the FFmpeg team.
or another example, "Ohh you just said you hate multimedia, why do you continue
to work on FFmpeg?"
So I stand by my oppinion that such questions are inappropriate.

Why not whip the teacher when the pupil misbehaves? -- Diogenes of Sinope