[FFmpeg-devel] VDD 2023, FFmpeg meeting notes, (23-11-2023, 4pm, Dublin)

Vittorio Giovara vittorio.giovara at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 20:32:11 EEST 2023

On Thu, Oct 5, 2023 at 8:55 AM Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:

> Anton Khirnov (12023-10-04):
> > It is IMO perfectly reasonable to wonder why does someone who does not
> > agree with the basic rules participate in the project.
>
> Or you could have given the issue just two more seconds of thought and
> realized that FFmpeg is a software project rather than a Nomic game, and
> therefore where the code goes matters more than how it is decided.

Code never matters more than people. It's people who make the community and
it's the community who writes the code or who decides what belongs to the
project -- never a single individual.

There is a lot of content on the web that exemplifies that in professional
environments:
-
https://hackernoon.com/thoughts-on-software-development-heroes-5ec656c2e31a
How To Prevent Coding "Heroes" From Destroying The Team
-
https://leaddev.com/culture-engagement-motivation/eliminating-hero-culture-software-engineering-teams
Eliminating hero culture in software engineering teams
-
https://medium.com/@LuiscaGuerrero/the-myth-of-the-hero-developer-70870e76c00b
The myth of the Hero developer

I am as puzzled as you are why we let this kind of abuse happen in this
community, so claiming a CoC violation for a legitimate question seems a
bit ridiculous in my opinion.
Just my 2 cents
--
Vittorio