[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] AG (GA?) VOTE

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Tue Oct 10 14:56:45 EEST 2023

Hi all

a vote on the General Assembly composition was apparently initiated with
a duration of 6 days, i saw this in my inbox:
"1009 23:49 Jean-Baptiste K (3,4K) Poll: FFmpeg AG members rules"

There was no real prior discussion on the mailing list about this.
There are 2 choices which are similar
(update the list before each vote and update it twice a year)
And a 3rd option that is probably not what the "opposition" wants I think
(use the 2020 version, never update)

First its neccessary to give the community a chance to discuss the GA composition
choices, collect suggestions and then do a vote

Now iam quite unprepared to really suggest something as i also didnt think about this
much or expect this vote now but at least something like
* keep everyone who had vote rights but add active developers each jan/july

Is a more honest choice for the "opposition" than "never update"

But hey why this matters, you might ask ?
just recently we discussed having the domain be controlled by the GA
now someone started a vote with no prior discussion on the ML (there was discussion in VDD only)
basically only one real option to choose and 6 days duration.
You might be happy with this specific change here in this case but
This is one reason why I was so scared in relation to the GA controlling
the domain. The GA composition is a dynamic thing with the way its setup
currently and with this, can easily become very different from what anyone
expects.
This year you spend all your time in FFmpeg and are part of the GA, next
someone else makes all decissions about FFmpeg and you have no vote in it.

ABout this vote, I think this vote should be paused and proper disscussion
should start, IF there is a need to do this vote now.
Debian uses 2 weeks minimum discussion and 2 weeks voting IIRC so thats a
start point for important votes like this one.
For unimporatnt things (like SDR) something like a 7 day vote if noone minds
should be fine but for things critical to FFmpegs decission making, i do not
think these should be rushed.

Thanks

What does censorship reveal? It reveals fear. -- Julian Assange