[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] AG (GA?) VOTE

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Tue Oct 10 15:32:57 EEST 2023

Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-10-10 13:56:45)
> Hi all
>
> a vote on the General Assembly composition was apparently initiated with
> a duration of 6 days, i saw this in my inbox:
> "1009 23:49 Jean-Baptiste K (3,4K) Poll: FFmpeg AG members rules"
>
> There was no real prior discussion on the mailing list about this.
> There are 2 choices which are similar
> (update the list before each vote and update it twice a year)
> And a 3rd option that is probably not what the "opposition" wants I think
> (use the 2020 version, never update)

"opposition"?
Who is this opposition, who are they opposed to, and why the scare quotes?

> First its neccessary to give the community a chance to discuss the GA composition
> choices, collect suggestions and then do a vote

The community did have the chance to discuss this. The point was raised
at VDD over 2 weeks ago, at the developer meeting you participated in.
You even commented on this specific point.

Then a summary of the meeting (including the intent to have a vote on
this) was sent to this mailing list. If there was no discussion then
perhaps it was because nobody was interested in discussing it.

> Now iam quite unprepared to really suggest something as i also didnt think about this
> much or expect this vote now but at least something like
> * keep everyone who had vote rights but add active developers each jan/july
>
> Is a more honest choice for the "opposition" than "never update"

Why did you not suggest this choice before? You had more than two weeks
to do so.

> But hey why this matters, you might ask ?
> just recently we discussed having the domain be controlled by the GA
> now someone started a vote with no prior discussion on the ML (there was discussion in VDD only)
> basically only one real option to choose and 6 days duration.
> You might be happy with this specific change here in this case but
> This is one reason why I was so scared in relation to the GA controlling
> the domain. The GA composition is a dynamic thing with the way its setup
> currently and with this, can easily become very different from what anyone
> expects.
> This year you spend all your time in FFmpeg and are part of the GA, next
> someone else makes all decissions about FFmpeg and you have no vote in it.
>
> ABout this vote, I think this vote should be paused and proper disscussion
> should start, IF there is a need to do this vote now.
> Debian uses 2 weeks minimum discussion and 2 weeks voting IIRC so thats a
> start point for important votes like this one.
> For unimporatnt things (like SDR) something like a 7 day vote if noone minds
> should be fine but for things critical to FFmpegs decission making, i do not
> think these should be rushed.

I see no reason to pause anything. There were over two weeks to discuss
this point.

--
Anton Khirnov