[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] AG (GA?) VOTE

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Tue Oct 10 15:58:53 EEST 2023

On Tue, Oct 10, 2023 at 02:32:57PM +0200, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-10-10 13:56:45)
> > Hi all
> >
> > a vote on the General Assembly composition was apparently initiated with
> > a duration of 6 days, i saw this in my inbox:
> > "1009 23:49 Jean-Baptiste K (3,4K) Poll: FFmpeg AG members rules"
> >
> > There was no real prior discussion on the mailing list about this.
> > There are 2 choices which are similar
> > (update the list before each vote and update it twice a year)
> > And a 3rd option that is probably not what the "opposition" wants I think
> > (use the 2020 version, never update)
>
> "opposition"?
> Who is this opposition, who are they opposed to, and why the scare quotes?
>
> > First its neccessary to give the community a chance to discuss the GA composition
> > choices, collect suggestions and then do a vote
>
> The community did have the chance to discuss this. The point was raised
> at VDD over 2 weeks ago, at the developer meeting you participated in.
> You even commented on this specific point.

My health was somewhat bad on that day, theres no way i could have
within a minute from learning about this during the meeting thought
about what choices would make sense and suggest them.

> Then a summary of the meeting (including the intent to have a vote on
> this) was sent to this mailing list. If there was no discussion then
> perhaps it was because nobody was interested in discussing it.
>
> > Now iam quite unprepared to really suggest something as i also didnt think about this
> > much or expect this vote now but at least something like
> > * keep everyone who had vote rights but add active developers each jan/july
> >
> > Is a more honest choice for the "opposition" than "never update"
>
> Why did you not suggest this choice before? You had more than two weeks
> to do so.

Because it was said voting to happen after 6.1, So i thought there is
plenty of time as 6.1 is not even branched yet

I really did not expect to be surprised by a vote on the GA yesterday

If you drop bombs on a foreign country and kill a hundred thousand
innocent people, expect your government to call the consequence
"unprovoked inhuman terrorist attacks" and use it to justify dropping
more bombs and killing more people. The technology changed, the idea is old.