[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] AG (GA?) VOTE

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Tue Oct 10 20:33:44 EEST 2023

On Tue, Oct 10, 2023 at 03:38:22PM +0200, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-10-10 15:21:42)
> > On Tue, Oct 10, 2023 at 02:32:57PM +0200, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> > > Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-10-10 13:56:45)

> > > "opposition"?
> > > Who is this opposition, who are they opposed to, and why the scare quotes?
> >
> > Ive added the "" because i think there is no real opposition
> >
> > But there are people who loose their vote rights with this vote.
> > So if they vote for the obvious options they kind of self castrate
> >
> > for them this looks like
> >
> > 1. cut off my tail
> > 2. cut off my balls
> > 3. stop new developers after 2020 from having vote rights
> >
> > This must just looks like a choice between tea, window and airplane for
> > some people, if you know what i mean
> >
> > (and yes it seems my humour is modulated by lack of reasonable sleep)
>
> You're supposing everyone wants voting rights. That is not so in my
> experience - I talked to multiple semi/formerly-active developers who
> believe they should not have voting rights on account of not being
> active enough.

Id like to talk to them ;)
And thats what id like to say:

I think its perfectly reasonable to choose not to vote if one is inactive.
But to choose to cut ones fingers off so one cannot vote even when a critical
need arrises is something different.

> And for people who do want voting right - gathering and maintaining the
> required commit count requires only a very modest effort. So if someone
> loses voting rights then it can only be because they don't care enough
> about having them.

Alot of things require only modest effort and we care about them still
we fail to do them
I think one reason is all these modest efforts add up to be not modest anymore
another is keeping track of everything one needs to do

If the world is empty and there is just FFmpeg and a developer in it then yes
i agree with your statement fully

bad example but
imagine one would have to pick up trash from teh street 20 times to get a right
to vote in the next gov. election. How many people would do that? How many people
would regret when they then cannot vote ?
I dont think people look ahead enough to say "i care about FFmpeg" i better make
sure i keep my vote rights and do 20 commits.
I would expect it to be rather "WTF we have a vote about putting a VPN add and installer on ffmpeg.org"
let me ohhh uhh i have no vote rights!?

The misfortune of the wise is better than the prosperity of the fool.
-- Epicurus