[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] AG (GA?) VOTE

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Tue Oct 10 16:38:22 EEST 2023

Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-10-10 15:21:42)
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2023 at 02:32:57PM +0200, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> > Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-10-10 13:56:45)
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > a vote on the General Assembly composition was apparently initiated with
> > > a duration of 6 days, i saw this in my inbox:
> > > "1009 23:49 Jean-Baptiste K (3,4K) Poll: FFmpeg AG members rules"
> > >
> > > There was no real prior discussion on the mailing list about this.
> > > There are 2 choices which are similar
> > > (update the list before each vote and update it twice a year)
> > > And a 3rd option that is probably not what the "opposition" wants I think
> > > (use the 2020 version, never update)
> >
> > "opposition"?
> > Who is this opposition, who are they opposed to, and why the scare quotes?
>
> Ive added the "" because i think there is no real opposition
>
> But there are people who loose their vote rights with this vote.
> So if they vote for the obvious options they kind of self castrate
>
> for them this looks like
>
> 1. cut off my tail
> 2. cut off my balls
> 3. stop new developers after 2020 from having vote rights
>
> This must just looks like a choice between tea, window and airplane for
> some people, if you know what i mean
>
> (and yes it seems my humour is modulated by lack of reasonable sleep)

You're supposing everyone wants voting rights. That is not so in my
experience - I talked to multiple semi/formerly-active developers who
believe they should not have voting rights on account of not being
active enough.

And for people who do want voting right - gathering and maintaining the
required commit count requires only a very modest effort. So if someone
loses voting rights then it can only be because they don't care enough
about having them.

--
Anton Khirnov