[FFmpeg-devel] SWS cleanup / SPI Funding Suggestion

Vittorio Giovara vittorio.giovara at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 23:30:56 EEST 2023

On Fri, Oct 13, 2023 at 3:19 PM Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc>
wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I propose using 15k$ from SPI for funding sws cleanup work.
> this is substantially less than what people belive this needs (see IRC
> logs from yesterday or so)
> So it really is more a small price for a good deed and not proper payment.
> This of course is only available to competent developers. (exact rules or
> how thats determined
> would still need to be decided unless its a clear case)
> Also the exact outcome and goal would need to be discussed by the
> community and whoever
> does the work.
> But some goals would probably be to make sws
> * pleasent to work with
> * similar speed or faster
> * proper multithreading
> * proper full colorspace convertion not ignoring gamma, primaries, ...
> * clean / understandable modular design (maybe everything can be a
> "Filter" inside sws
>   that get build into a chain)
>
> Proper payment (50k$ maybe) would be too much in relation to what SPI has
> ATM (150k$)
>
> Above all, this is just my oppinion, the actual SPI funding also would
> need to
> be approved by the community. This can happen after a specific volunteer
> comes forth
> or before, whichever way the community prefers.

Hi Michael,
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I think there are better image
libraries that are more accurate, faster, and can implement proper
tonemapping than sws -- zimg, and libplacebo are the prime examples. I
believe it would make more sense to integrate one of them in sws as a
backend (and fallback) so that the api doesn't change, or, if we absolutely
need no external deps, then write an entirely new library, but 15k$ work
for "cleanup" on a library noone consciously wants to use seems wasteful
IMO.
--
Vittorio