[FFmpeg-devel] trac spam

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Thu Oct 19 21:18:40 EEST 2023

On Thu, Oct 19, 2023 at 07:49:10PM +0200, Michael Koch wrote:

> > You would have to read the trac source probably and maybe do local tests
> tracing through the code what happens
> but a non spammer posting spam
> setting up trac locally is easy, it comes with its own deamon you dont
> even need a webserver
>
> That sounds too complicated for me.
>
> What about my other question? Can it be changed that the spammer gets +20 points from successful captcha?
> The regex filter is useless if a pattern match gives only -10 points, but 20 seconds later the spammer gets +20 points from captcha.

IIRC each regex give -10 so multiple matches give more.

The problem is more fundamental do we allow users to override
spam mis identification ?
we can reduce the captcha score but then someone will hit a case where
she cannot post valid content
That means we then need a method to catch these and do something about them

Its not as if 20 fails and 18 is going to work, the captcha score would
have to be dropped to 8 for this one case you talk about here.

I think the captcha works as intended. It adds cost to the spammer
I doubt its economic for spammers to solve a captcha for having some spam
up for a few hours.

Again we can change all these scores but theres a minimum where its least
work and deleting spam is work as much as dealing with users who cannot post

So if you have some argument that a change in scores would reduce spam with
no valid users lost in the last 12months thats a much stronger argument
Another way would be to try a change and monitor what happens, do you
want to monitor all failed submissions for a few months ?
either way tuning these numbers requires some form of feedback mechanism
otherwise we would not truly know if we did something smart or stupid

Rewriting code that is poorly written but fully understood is good.
Rewriting code that one doesnt understand is a sign that one is less smart
than the original author, trying to rewrite it will not make it better.