[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] upcoming GA vote

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Wed Oct 25 22:30:10 EEST 2023

Hi Anton

first let me say, this looks much better setup than the previous attempt by jb

On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 11:15:19PM +0200, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> Hi all,
> as discussed at the dev meeting at VDD, we need to have a series of
> votes, the first of which concerns defining when is the GA voter list to
> be updated.
>
> As the previous attempt to vote on this was hampered by email delivery
> issues, and also criticized due to inadequate advance announcement, the
> vote was closed and we are going to try again.
>
> This time, to avoid any confusion, let me clearly state that this is a
> declaration of intent to initiate a GA vote next Monday (2023-10-30),
> unless there are substantial objections.
>
> The vote question will be:
>    How do we update the list of active members of the general assembly?
>
> Proposed possibilities so far are:
> * twice a year (1st Jan & 1st July)
>   (suggested at VDD)
> * before each vote
>   (suggested at VDD)
> * never (keep the 2020 version)
>   (suggested at VDD)
> * keep everyone who had vote rights but add active developers each jan/july
>   (suggested by Michael on the ML)
>
> Feel welcome to propose additional possibilities until Friday
> 2023-10-27.
>
> Other constructive comments also welcome.

First i suggest s#jan/july#1st Jan & 1st July#

Second i suggest to pick a time too, like 0:00 UTC

Third, for future votes i suggest to lengthen the period of
proposing of additional possibilities. Here we all maybe have seen this already
but. If this was new than 2-3 days really is too short. That period needs
to include discussion and thinking for a person who might be working 8 hour
a day on something unrelated to FFmpeg.

There may be more but thats what comes to my mind ATM

it is not once nor twice but times without number that the same ideas make
their appearance in the world. -- Aristotle